What are the types of road reconditioning methods used by the City of Palm Bay?
- Milling and Paving
- Thin Lift
- Full Depth Reclamation (FDR)
- Full Reconstruction
What is Rejuvenation?
Rejuvenation utilizes Reclamite®, a Maltene based treatment that is typically used on roads that are 1-5 years old, and can be done a few more times to further extend the life of the pavement. It is a low cost option that improves the durability and life of the pavement by 4-6 years, and it seals the surface against intrusion of air and water elements.
What are Rejuvenators?
Pure Maltene based rejuvenators are translucent and leave pavement marking visible with no need for restriping. The Maltenes are asphalt binders that seals ¼” cracks in the asphalt pavement.
Why is this process necessary?
The penetrating sealer we are using has been the most widely used Pavement Rejuvenator in the market for over 50 years. This product simply replaces the vital ingredients that have been lost from the pavement’s binder over time due to exposure to the suns UV rays and wet weather. Without timely preventive maintenance, an asphalt road will deteriorate faster than necessary.
The maintenance treatment being provided on your street will help your agency protect one of their largest assets and give you a road that will provide years of additional service. This Preventive Maintenance process is a most economical use of your tax dollar.
Points to remember during the rejuvenation process:
- You will have access to your driveway at all times. During the short application period any work crew member can assist you.
- Remove parked cars from along the edge/side of the road between the hours of
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Please observe all signs & flagman’s directions
- Sand cover will be swept up within two days. Use CAUTION when driving on loose sand.
- Drive SLOWLY if you accidentally enter a freshly treated area. 5 m.p.h.
- For special events, moving, garage sales, etc, call 1-800-333-6309 for assistance.
- Keep children & pets out of treated areas to avoid tracking into houses.
- Material tracked onto driveways will weather off in three weeks or less leaving no stain.
- Please refrain from using lawn sprinklers, washing cars, etc on the day of treatment. Pavement must be dry.
- Rain will delay work until the following day.
- Remember, any work crew member can assist you during the actual application.
Milling and Paving
The existing asphalt pavement surface is milled and then typically paved with a 2" thick layer of new asphalt pavement.
Thin Lift Overlay
The existing pavement surface is repaired of cracks and pots holes an then a 1.5" thick layer of asphalt overlay is placed on top of the existing pavement
Full Depth Reclamation (FDR)
The Full Depth Reclamation (FDR) process pulverizes the existing asphalt and base material, mixes cement and water, and compacts the materials to produce a strong, durable base for the new road. Then the asphalt is placed on top of the new base structure.
The existing roadway is completely removed of the pavement and base material and then reconstructed by compacting sub-base and adding a new 8" thick base rock compacted and 2" think asphalt pavement.
Should you have any further questions regarding road conditioning processes, please contact Palm Bay Public Works Customer Service at 321-952-3438 option 5.