Deputy City Attorney
Jill E. JacobsDeputy City Attorney Jill E. Jacobs joined the Palm Bay City Attorney’s Office in October 2015, bringing over 27 years of workers’ compensation litigation experience along, including 12 as Senior Staff Attorney for The Harford. As part of her new role as a municipal attorney, she was tasked with creating a way to manage, in-house, all of the City’s workers’ compensation risk and litigation. This includes development of best practices for the City as a self-insured entity consistent with state laws; directing our new Third-Party Administrators, drafting and implementation of Return-To-Work, Safety and Loss Prevention guidelines, Drug-Free workplace enforcement, weekly staffings with multiple departments and overseeing outside litigation which predated the City’s self-insured status.
Shortly after her arrival, she was profiled in articles highlighting the City Attorney’s Office in these Florida Bar and local publications: Rachael C. Moulton, Palm Bay City Attorney’s Office Employs All Board Certified Full Time Attorneys, The Capstone News and Resources for Board Certified Lawyers Issue 63, Jan. 2016, at 3; and City of Palm Bay Attorneys’ Office Raises Bar On Professional Standards, Space Coast Daily (Aug. 5, 2015), http://spacecoastdaily.com/2015/08/city-of-palm-bay-attorneys-office-raises-bar-on-professional-standards. In addition, she was profiled in the October 2016 edition of Ex Parte, the official newsletter of the Brevard County Bar Association, in an article by BCBA President Bryan Lober.
One focal point for Ms. Jacobs has been reviewing and closing stagnant claims. As a result of her efforts, she recovered more than $1 Million in neglected Excess reimbursements the first year.
In addition to trying over 60 cases to conclusion in the last 10 years, Ms. Jacobs is also very knowledgeable in areas of concurrent jurisdiction and overlapping fields such as wage/hour, wrongful termination, social security, Medicare, equitable distribution litigation and third-party subrogation.
Education and sharing information are crucial components to a successful in-house legal department, and Ms. Jacobs has designed and presented several training and continuing education seminars for adjuster CEU credits and Florida Bar CLE credits.
Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law, 1987
Senator, Student Bar Association, 1984-85 and 1985–86; Named to Who’s Who Among American Law Students, 1986; Moot Court and Advanced Moot Court Competition, Mock Trial Competition, participant and judge; Client Counseling competition; Advisor to first year students as a second year student.
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, Rutgers University, 1983
Student Congress Representative, 1982 - 83; Campus Activities Board, 1981 - 82 and 1982 - 83; Student Liaison to Faculty Senate; Named to Who’s Who Among American Colleges and Universities, 1983.
Awards & Recognitions:
- AV Preeminent® peer review rated - Martindale-Hubbell®
- Florida Bar Board Certified In Workers' Compensation, 2015
- Admitted to The Florida Bar, October 6, 1987.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2016.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2016.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1989.
- The Florida Bar, Workers Compensation section member since 1989; City, County and Local Government section member since 2015.
- Appointed by Bar President Higer to 3 year term on Workers’ Compensation Certification Review Committee, 2017 – 2020.
- Supreme Court of Florida Certification as Circuit Civil Mediator, 1996 to 2001.
- The Friends of 440, Inc., a charitable organization, Trustee, Board of Directors since 2000; Member Treasure and Space Coast Chapter since 2015.
- Florida Department of Financial Services, licensed instructor and presenter for adjuster CEU, since December 2008.
LECTURES ▪ WORKSHOPS ▪ TRAINING
- “Workers’ Compensation Basics for the Non-Workers’ Compensation Practitioner” (Florida Bar Activity 1807512A); on behalf of Brevard County Association for Women Lawyers CLE program, February 23, 2018, Melbourne, Florida.
- Andrew P. Lannon, Peter J. Sweeney, Jr., Patricia D. Smith, Jill E. Jacobs & Wendy L. Fisher, Risk[y] Business: Transitioning to a Stand-Alone Self-Insurance Program, 46 Stetson L. Rev. 3 (Spring 2017).
- “Defending Workers’ Compensation Claims: A Look at the Florida Supreme Court’s Recent Rulings on Constitutionality” (Florida Bar Course 2313R), The Florida Bar’s City, County and Local Government Law Section’s 40th Annual Local Government Law in Florida Seminar, May 13, 2017.
- “Made in The Shade? Practical Applications and Update on the Sunshine Law and Public Records Act in Florida” (Florida Bar Course #2052R), The Florida Bar’s City, County and Local Government Law Section’s 39th Annual Local Government Law in Florida Seminar, May 6, 2016.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Building Trial Skills, participant in week-long trial boot camp in New Orleans, LA, January 2016.
- “Florida Workers’ Compensation and General Liability Issues: 2013 Claims Handling Update”, sponsored by McConnaughhay firm; June 21, 2013 in Fort Lauderdale. Written materials available.
- “Average Weekly Wage in Florida Worker’s Compensation Claims”, (Florida DFS Course #68919),Florida Department of Financial Services Adjuster Law and Policy CEU program, April 27, 2009.
- “Attorneys’ Fees under ‘Murray v. Mariner Health’” (Florida DFS Course #67410); Florida Department of Financial Services Adjuster Law and Policy CEU program, December 18, 2008).
- “Florida Workers’ Compensation Jurisdictional Training and Workshop”; (Florida DFS Course #TD816); Florida Department of Financial Services Adjuster Law and Policy CEU program, November 14, 2007.
- Panel discussion participant on “Practice and Procedure in Workers Compensation”, speaking on Mediation, sponsored by the Broward County (Florida) Bar Association, October 10, 1998.
- Panel discussion participant on workers’ compensation and mediation, sponsored by the National Association of Private Rehabilitation Providers, Southeastern Chapter, 1996 and 1997.
- Panel discussion participant, “Workers’ Comp Today” televised program sponsored by the Dade County Bar Association, 1996.