possible signs of physical abuse
Physical abuse involves external injuries and is more easily detected than other forms of abuse.
- Unexplained bruises in various stages of healing.
- Unexplained burns, especially cigarette burns or immersion burns.
- Unexplained fractures, lacerations, or abrasions. Injuries in various stages of healing which appear in a regular pattern or are grouped together.
- Evidence of delayed or inappropriate treatment for injuries.
- Behavior by the child which may be hyperactive, disruptive and aggressive, or complacent, compliant, shy, withdrawn or uncommunicative.
- Denial by parents that anything is wrong, unlikely explanation for the child’s injuries, delays obtaining medical care, or inadequate care given and injuries which occur with increasing frequency or severity.