City of Palm Bay Utilities Department Environmental Policy
The City of Palm Bay Utilities Department has the responsibility to provide the public of Palm Bay with drinking water and disposal of wastewater. In recognition of the responsibilities that come with these activities, the Utilities Department is committed to conscientious stewardship of our water resources, the natural environment, and well-being of Utilities employees and the citizens of Palm Bay.
The Utilities Department has a commitment to manage its operations in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to environmental quality and public and employee health and safety. The Utilities Department is dedicated to build from a foundation of compliance with the aim of continuously improving environmental performance. To achieve this goal and promote sustainability, the Utilities Department will integrate the three decision making elements of the Sustainability Triple Bottom Line (environment, economy, and social equity). Specifically, the Department shall:
- Incorporate environmental considerations into our business decisions, activities, services, and products.
- Set measurable objectives to improve environmental and safety performance.
- Reduce the generation, discharge and emission of wastes to all environmental media - air, land, surface water, and groundwater - and if reduction is not a practical attempt alternatives such as conservation, recycling or reuse to limit waste creation.
- Anticipate emerging environmental issues and respond accordingly.
- Implement a continuous improvement asset management system to minimize life cycle costs of equipment and infrastructure
- Allocate and maintain, within our fiscal capabilities, resources for the effective implementation of environmental management and compliance programs.
- Encourage communication among employees, visitors, neighbors, and surrounding communities, suppliers, customers, regulatory agencies and the general public regarding Utilities Department’s environmental issues.
Every Utilities Department employee, intern, vendor, consultant, contractor, and volunteer has an obligation to comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations and other Utilities Department requirements. Employee training will include a review of this policy and all applicable elements of our environmental management system.