Full Depth Reclamation (FDR)
What is FDR?
The Full Depth Reclamation (FDR) process pulverizes the existing asphalt and base material, mixes cement and water, and compacts the materials to produce a strong, durable base for the new road. Then the asphalt is placed on top of the new base structure.
What are Rejuvenators?
Pure Maltene based rejuvenators are translucent and leave pavement marking visible with no need for restriping. The Maltenes are asphalt binders that seals ¼” cracks in the asphalt pavement.
What is Rejuvenation?
Rejuvenation utilizes Reclamite®, a Maltene based treatment that is typically used on roads that are 1-5 years old, and can be done a few more times to further extend the life of the pavement. It is a low cost option that improves the durability and life of the pavement by 4-6 years, and it seals the surface against intrusion of air and water elements.
Why is this process necessary?
The penetrating sealer we are using has been the most widely used Pavement Rejuvenator in the market for over 50 years. This product simply replaces the vital ingredients that have been lost from the pavement’s binder over time due to exposure to the suns UV rays and wet weather.
Everyone understands that we would not buy a new car and never perform an oil change on it. Oil changes are considered part of the preventive maintenance for your car to make it last for many years. Asphalt roads are really not any different. Without timely preventive maintenance, an asphalt road will deteriorate faster than necessary.
The maintenance treatment being provided on your street will help your Agency protect one of their largest assets and give you a road that will provide years of additional service.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
- You will have access to your driveway at all times. During the short application period any work crew member can assist you.
- Remove parked cars from along the edge/side of the road between the hours of
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Please observe all signs & flagman’s directions
- Sand cover will be swept up within two days. Use CAUTION when driving on loose sand.
- Drive SLOWLY if you accidentally enter a freshly treated area. 5 m.p.h.
- For special events, moving, garage sales, etc, call 1-800-333-6309 for assistance.
- Keep children & pets out of treated areas to avoid tracking into houses.
- Material tracked onto driveways will weather off in three weeks or less leaving no stain.
- Please refrain from using lawn sprinklers, washing cars, etc on the day of treatment. Pavement must be dry.
- Rain will delay work until the following day.
- Remember, any work crew member can assist you during the actual application.
This Preventive Maintenance process is a most economical use of your tax dollar. Should you have any further questions please contact Palm Bay Public Works Customer Service at 321-952-3438 option 5.