Veterans’ Preference for eligibility in employment will be extended to certain Veterans and spouses of Veterans who are Florida residents according to Florida State Statute 295.07.
1. Section 295.07, Florida Statutes, extends Veterans’ Preference to:
- A veteran with a service-connected disability who is eligible for or receiving compensation, disability retirement, or pension under public laws administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.
- The spouse of a veteran who cannot qualify for employment because of a total and permanent service-connected disability, or the spouse of a veteran missing in action, captured, or forcibly detained by a foreign power.
- A veteran of any war who has served on active duty for one day or more during a wartime period, excluding active duty for training, and who was discharged under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
- The un-remarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
- A veteran that has received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal provided the individual is otherwise eligible. In addition, the list of U.S. Combat Campaigns and Expeditions which qualify for preference may be found on the State of Florida Veterans Affairs website: under Section IX. Enforcement.
2. If you wish to claim Veterans’ Preference, you must meet all four of the following criteria at the time of application:
- Must submit a copy of your DD-214.
- Must have an “Honorable” discharge, or where separated from the military under honorable conditions.
- Must be a Florida resident at the time of application.
- Must possess the minimum qualifications necessary to the discharge of the duties involved. The rule defines “minimum qualifications” to mean a “specification” of the kinds of experience, training, education and/or licensure or certification that provides “appropriate job-related evidence that an applicant possesses the minimum required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to the discharge of the duties involved.”