The Atlantic hurricane season is officially from 1 June to 30 November. There is nothing magical in these dates, and hurricanes have occurred outside of these six months, but these dates were selected to encompass over 97% of tropical activity. June 1st has been the traditional start of the Atlantic hurricane season for decades. However, the end date has been slowly shifted outward, from October 31st to November 15th until its current date of November 30th.
We recommend families consider these three ideas when making a plan: who to call, where to meet and what to pack.
Access age-appropriate tools and resources to introduce conversations about disaster preparedness to children on www.ready.gov/kids, including a downloadable family emergency plan, emergency kit checklists and guidelines on how to make preparedness a year-round family activity.
Subscribe to CodeRED to receive official emergency notifications to your phone via voice message, text message, or email.
Sandbags are available year-round at the Sheriff's Work Farm at 2955 Pluckebaum Road, Cocoa, from 8 AM to 3 PM daily. 10 bags filled with sand are provided per vehicle.
For shelter information, check Brevard County Emergency Management web site.
- Brevard County Emergency Management: Citizen Hotline Dial 211
- Get the CodeRED Mobile Alert App
- Florida Division of Emergency Management: 850-413-9900
- FEMA: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
- National Hurricane Center
- National Weather Service
- Red Cross: 321-723-2586
- United Way: 321-631-2740
- Brevard County Public Schools: 321-633-1000 ext. 797
- Eastern Florida State College: 321-632-1111
- University of Central Florida: 321-433-7821
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 800-232-4636
- Florida Power and Light: FPL realizes how disruptive power disturbances can be to your life. If you experience an outage or repeated power problem, call FPL at 1-800-4OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243) to report the problem.
City Employees can call the employee Hotline at 321-726-5684 or
321-409-6384 for further information.
Palm Bay Citizens can call 321-726-5683 or 321-409-6383 for further information.
As you evacuate, know where you are going & leave early.
Hurricane season lasts June 1 to November 30.
Store enough drinking water to last for at least 2 weeks.
If you must evacuate, always take your pets.
Pets are not allowed in most shelters. Check before arriving for pet friendly shelters.