home business Tax Receipt Applications
Applications are available online or can be picked up and/or completed at our office, 120 Malabar Road SE between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
Florida Statute Chapter 185.125 (A). In a residentially zoned district, a home business tax receipt may be issued when the home is used only as a location for a business telephone, an address for business correspondence, and a storage place for business records in conjunction with a principal residential use. A home business tax receipt does not permit or authorize the following:
- Employees, other than members of the immediate family, residing on the premises in the conduct of the home occupation;
- Walk-in or drive-in businesses to the residence;
- Deliveries of the business-related products for sale or distribution to the licensee;
- Any off-site advertisement from any street;
- Storage of goods;
- A home occupation occupying an area greater than twenty-five percent (25%) of the first floor living area of the residence;
- Conducting a home occupation in an accessory building; such occupation must be conducted in the main residence of the proprietor.
Florida Statute Chapter 185.125(B). Application for a home business tax receipt shall be made in the same manner as provided for in Chapter 110.38, City of Palm Bay Code of Ordinances. The City Planner shall certify that requirements have been met upon review of the following information submitted by the applicant.
- Name and address of applicant;
- Legal description of property where home occupation is to be conducted;
- Total square footage of the house;
- Area of room or rooms to be utilized in the conduct of home occupation;
- Nature and type of home occupation.
A home business tax receipt may be revoked at any time it is determined that the home occupation is not being conducted in accordance with the criteria above.