commercial business Tax Receipt Applications
Applications are available online or can be picked up and/or completed at our office, 120 Malabar Road SE between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
As part of obtaining a Business Tax Receipt for a commercial business, a fire inspection may be required by the City Fire Department even if your business is the same or similar as the previous occupant.
To assist you in obtaining your Receipt, the following is a list of most common fire code deficiencies noted by City of Palm Bay fire inspectors.
- Existing business location selected may necessitate a change of occupancy. Even though there was a business in the location prior to your type of business, there may be a different occupancy classification for your type of business. If you have any doubt, meet with the Fire Inspection and Building Division personnel before you do anything else!
- Vacant commercial unit was used for a different type of business. This could possibly necessitate code required building modifications.
- Address or unit number(s) not posted on the building. The address must be conspicuously posted on the building. Three inches high and three quarter inches wide are required; Fire recommends numbers be six inches high.
- Fire extinguisher(s) not provided, or improper rating. The minimum size and type fire extinguisher required is a 2A;10bc dry chemical fire extinguisher. Specialty type extinguisher(s) may be required depending upon the hazard of the contents of the business.
- Circuit breakers not labeled and electrical panel boxes not accessible. All circuit breakers must be labeled to indicate what each circuit controls and a minimum of three feet clearance must be provided in front of the panel.
- Extension cords being used in place of permanent wiring. Only UL surge suppressors are permitted.
It is against City ordinance to operate your business without a Business Tax Receipt. It is important to have your business set up and any of the above listed items corrected prior to the fire inspector’s arrival.